Monday, November 5, 2007

Teaching is unforgiving

Teachers are the most unappreciated people I know. I mean you work your rearend off for kids everyday and all you get are complaints. Plus there are no room for errors. Heaven forbid you make even a minor mistake. Sometimes I wish I could call all my parents and tell them every single thing they did wrong that day and explain how crappy it is that they made that mistake.

I feel like I am failing my kids because I can't hold them accountable for anything. What am I teaching them if I have to accept work that is three weeks late? How am I preparing them for the future? We are crippling our students. We are teaching them that it is ok to do their work whenever they want. I feel like a beggar everyday I go to work. I should just make a sign and stand outside the school that says "Hungry for student work! Please turn in! Anythings helps!" Maybe I might get a response from students or even some parents. I mean seriously, I am so tired of begging for kids to turn in their work. I'm tired of calling parents and hearing all the lame excuses of why their child is just plain lazy. Can you believe two kids actually used the "dog excuse" today? My dog stepped on my project and broke it. I heard that from two different students today. So, I ask why didn't you bring it to school to see what we could fix. There reply was "Oh, I didn't think of that". Seriously, Seriously.

I just don't feel like I am preparing my kids for the future. I'm tired of hearing "Oh, this is just middle school. It doesn't really count until high school." Yes....it does count. UGH!

1 comment:

britni said...

I love the sign idea! The problem is that if you call the students parents it wouldnt matter anyway! That is the root of the problem! I know you are a great teacher. Keep your head up, I promise there are students that appreciate you! Thanks for being such a great teacher!!!!!